Re: Got a QSR but what to do with it?
Posted by Markus 'read the f* manual' Nentwig on August 01, 1998 at 10:13:10:
In Reply to: Got a QSR but what to do with it? posted by Pierre on July 29, 1998 at 20:14:27:
You have to make certain that several things are set correctly.
1) Your QS must send data through MIDI ports and not through serial. Set the switch in GLOBAL menu to MIDI (not PC31.25k or the other settings)
You can make certain that it's working if you choose a mix and set the KEYBOARD parameter of a voice to 'OFF'. Start playing, you won't hear anything.
Now plug a MIDI cable to MIDI out AND to MIDI-in. Play again. Now you'll hear the sound -> QS transmits and receives.
2) You have to make sure that the PC recognizes the MIDI information on its MIDI port. You have to install the driver and make the right settings (for MPU 401 base address and interrupt nr.)
3) The sequencing program must be told which MIDI port to use (many sequencing progs don't figure it out by themself that there's only one MIDI port present - you have to tell them explicitly)
You can make the same 'closed loop' test with your computer: Connect IN and OUT (if the plugs are both 'male' connect them with any synth by using MIDI IN and MIDI THROUGH).
Now load any midi sequence, set its output to the MIDI port (not the soundcard) and start it. The MIDI OUT lamp of your sequencer will flash. When the cables are connected, the MIDI In lamp will blink, too (the sound may change in strange ways but that's of no concern now)
If you have done these two tests, you are sure that PC and synth are both properly set up.
Maybe you won't have any trouble and everything will work out fine at the first attempt (plug and play). Then forget everything above.
But maybe (most properly) it won't - plug and pray ;-)
- Re: Got a QSR but what to do with it? MN 8/01/98
- Re: Got a QSR but what to do with it? Dan Huked Ahn Fanikz Alesis 8/27/98
- Re: Got a QSR but what to do with it? Dan Huked Ahn Fanikz Alesis 8/27/98 (0)